Sunday, October 14, 2007

comfort cookies


My consumption of sweets has skyrocketed post-GF diet. Prior to identification of gluten as the culprit, the consensus between me and my doctors was that my symptoms were a response to an intolerance of ALL grains and sugars. I would eat desserts randomly, but generally stayed away and almost never baked for myself.

No longer!

I would still like to curtail my sugar consumption, but my deal with myself for easing into GF life is that I will get used to the GF part first, and not restrict my food choices unnecessarily until I have worked through my psychological response to this new lifestyle.

Too much denial will screw you up and make it impossible to adhere to the guidelines that are MEDICALLY necessary. I'm not into self-sabotage anymore.

So now I am making cookies! I found this recipe somewhere on the Food Network site and adapted it. There will be more experimentation, but I don't really want to make cookies twice in one week, deal or no deal.

Chocolate Chip Sunseed Cookies

4 oz/1 stick butter
3/4 c. brown rice flour
1/4 c. sorghum flour
1/8 c. plus 1 TBSP tapioca starch
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/8 c. white sugar
2 TBSP molasses
1 egg
1 TBSP milk
6 oz. chocolate chips
1/2 c. sunflower seeds

Preheat oven to 375 deg.

Melt butter in saucepan. Pour into mixer bowl.

Sift dry ingredients in new bowl.

In mixer bowl, cream melted butter with sugars, add wet ingredients and mix until smooth.

Slowly add dry ingredients. Mix for about 1 minute on low speed.

Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop tablespoons of dough onto well-greased cookie sheets. Sprinkle sunflower seeds on cookies, one at a time, and pat down.

Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until edges are browned.

This makes 2 sheets, or about 16-20 cookies. It's just my partner and I over here, so we don't need 4 dozen of these hanging out for the next week. Double or triple the recipe depending on your household needs.

No comments: