Monday, October 1, 2007

Quickest Dinner Ever


I'm obviously having camera issues.

So, my partner and I have been experimenting with fish sauce over the past couple of weeks, since I can't eat the local Thai takeout anymore.

I know a lot of folks develop pretty awesome relationships with their local restaurants, to the point where special gluten-free dishes are created in their honor. To be honest, that isn't really an option when you live in a super-crowded neighborhood and don't have the financial means to eat out very much. Restaurants generally only go the extra mile if they feel that you are a frequent spender of money in their establishment, or if they are hard up for customers.

So I'm choosing to use this situation as an opportunity to learn how to make Thai sauces, and I figured I'd start with the easy, basic recipes that I can adapt to whatever is in my fridge and pantry. You know, real people food.

I have a crazy schedule right now between school, work, an internship and my volunteer work. I often walk in the door around 9 or 9:30, starving. When its that late, I am not going to spend 45 minutes or even half of an hour on dinner. I want it NOW.

I am happy to report that I made this in about 15 minutes.

Kow Pad - Thai Fried Rice

3 T. olive oil (I definitely used more than this)
3 T. GF tamari
1 1/2 T. GF fish sauce
1 cup cooked brown rice
2 T. hot sauce
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 eggs
1 c. peas

Thaw and heat frozen peas in 1/2 inch of boiling water. Drain. Heat pan, add oil. Add eggs to hot oil, scramble until cooked. Remove or push to side. Add fish, soy and hot sauce, stir. Add garlic. Stir. Add rice, mix & stir. Add peas and egg. Stir quickly to prevent rice from sticking. Adjust sauces as necessary.

I love this recipe because it's a great combination of good fats, protein, carbs & veggies, and can be adapted to whatever meat or fresh veggies you have on hand. The fact that I was able to make this on a bare-cupboard night without feeling deprived at all makes this recipe a great addition to my weekly repertoire of 15 minute dinners.

No comments: